I just got back from Spain where I cooked my own paella. Here some tips, which from my personal experience will make your paella even yummier 😉
- Always add shrimps and shellfish only 10 min before the end of the cooking time – then they will stay moist and soft (PS: in this picture we overdid the shrimp a little).
- Prepare squid separately in a pan with a little olive oil – just 3- 4 min is enough – and add after paella is finished. This way they will be soft as butter!
- We are not so fond of “mushy” peas. However, we love the veggie aspect and the color medley. So we added them raw at the end (or if frozen/pour boiling briefly water over them) together with parsley just before serving.
- Be generous on tomato cubes, garlic and good quality olive oil. They will make the paella tasty and moist.
- If you don’t want to spent lots of money for saffron and don’t want to use artificial colouring: use curcuma! A superfood giving the paella a beautiful golden color, too.