- 350g brown whole-wheat flour (a gluten free version is possible)
- 1 whole pack baking powder (15g)
- 2 tsp “speculaas kruiden” (mix of cinnamon, ground cloves, ground nutmeg)
- 200g coarsely chopped walnuts, divided
- 100g dried sweet fruit chopped – raisins or apricot (we used candied orange zest)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 100g sugar
- 100g yogurt (alternatively soya yogurt)
- 1 grated lemon zest of a whole lemon
- 100ml orange juice
- 100ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Preheat the oven to 200°C. If needed coat your baking dishes.
Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast, slightly in the oven (5 min). Transfer to a plate to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 170 degrees.
Whisk flour baking powder, “speculaas spices” and salt in a large bowl.
Then whisk in eggs and sugar, yogurt, lemon zest, orange juice. Add eggs and olive oil. Now fold in walnuts and the dried fruit or candied orange zest. Pour into cake form. Bake the cake until a wooden skewer or toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached (ca. 30-35 min).